Planning for the 2013-2014 season is progressing well. Nevada Opera's 46th Season begins with
- The Nevada Opera Renaissance Faire, begins next year's program with a family oriented event to be held at Wingfield Park from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Sunday July 14, 2013. The Fair’s goal is to encourage the public to view opera as friendly and accessible. The event will feature operatic characters, operatic themes, and famous operatic characters at game booths and on the stage throughout the day. Booths will feature opera-oriented food, merchandise and short classes.
Two mainstage productions are planned. Dates and casting are still being finalized and may change. Our current plans are
- Carmen The marvelous music of Carmen but with the characters being a gang of bikers rather than a gang of smugglers. The September 20th and 22nd performances are expected to complement Street Vibrations and to support and emphasize one of Reno's signature events.
- Cav and Pag: For our spring performances, we will produce the favorites Cavalleria Rusticana and I Pagliacci. Starring as Santuzza in Cav, will be Reno's own Dolora Zajick, the world’s leading mezzo-soprano. Dolora graduated from UNR and studied under Ted Puffer. Her career has spanned NVO performances to her current world-renowned status.
- AND … don’t forget, this year will conclude with Don Giovanni May 17th and 19th , 2013, at the Pioneer Center. May 18th we will present a special ‘vampire’ version.
Our Outreach programs continue to expand. These develop talent and also provide opportunities and venues for our performers to display their talents. In addition to supporting the major productions
- P’Opera will present a performance series entertaining local gatherings and restaurant patrons. The first performance in the restaurant series was at Fuego on March 24th.
- Youth Artistic Development will conduct Fall and Spring programs to train and develop a broad selection of performers, ages 9-18. Each program will conclude with public performances displaying their newly-developed vocal and stage skills
- Studio Program events are still being defined.
Two fundraising events are planned, similar to the current year’s.
- On April 26th of this year we will reprise last years event as Chefs and Arias, Nevada Opera’s Dueling Chefs event. Chef Mark Estee of Campo will be defending his title.
- And, next year will again delight attendees with Jukebox Unhinged in the Fall and Chefs and Arias in the spring.